Bassinets are often inexpensive, convenient infants’ first beds. Some people prefer sturdy cribs instead of bassinets. Bassinets are great co-sleepers. Co-sleeping can be described as the practice of spending the night with your baby in the same room. Bassinets make it great for co-sleeping as they are portable and tiny making them easy to be moved and used. Most of these bassinets come with casters which allow for their easy movement.
Traditionally, bassinets were made using the woven basket as the core material but nowadays bassinets are made of synthetic materials like plastic, woven or embossed in such a way to look like natural basketry. The bassinet is recommended to be used when your baby is at 6 months of age or weighing 25 pounds and below or else until the child can now roll over on their own with no assistance. Generally, bassinets are very easy to put together or rather assemble.
The steps to follow include:
- Remove bassinet from its packaging and box then place it on a surface which is flat facing upside down. For most bassinets, they come already with the legs attached on the underside cover of the bassinet on a plastic, metal or wood frame which is attached. In case the bassinet comes with the legs not attached, attach the legs to the bassinet’s frame as shown on the design of the bassinet.
- The attached legs are folded so unfold them through pulling them out and upward. For most bassinets, the legs are arranged on one leg and others legs are arranged in twos at every end. As per the design of the bassinet, the legs are supposed to lock in place through folding brace or snapping joint.
- Get the leg braces then insert them between the bassinet’s legs. Such braces can either be screwed into the bassinet’s legs or be attached using hole configuration and a notch. Before inserting the braces, get to learn your bassinet and which method is preferred for affixing the braces. Leg braces are actually used for giving the bassinet strength for support of your baby.
- Turn your bassinet such that the upper side faces right then insert over bassinet the linear aligning holes with knobs, notches or the holes placed at the bassinet’s head. Most usual, bassinets come with stain type of material which is pushed into it. Tug the skirt or ruffles over the bassinet’s exterior.
- Stretch your mattress cover to cover the whole mattress then get your fitted sheet and also spread it over your mattress. Get the mattress and place it in your bassinet. Mattress used should fit very snuggly such that the child does not get her or his head or limbs wedged into crevices. You should never make use of mattress which is not very tightly fitting the bassinet.
- Have your hood cover stretched over the bassinet’s wood frame. This wood frame usually is seen under the cover. The bassinet’s exterior has the cover’s fancy side. Any loops or holes on your cove get them aligned with the hood frame holes, loops or holes.
- Have the hood frame installed on the bassinet? You will not holes, knobs or notches where such hood frame gets attached to your bassinet through the bassinet’s linear. This hood will then rest on the head’s portion top edge of your bassinet.
Ensure that the bassinet meets these safety measures:
Each side of the bassinet should be 100% mesh to make the bassinet breathable and also not a smothering hazard by any chance if the face of the infant gets smashed on the bassinet’s side.
Use a good material which has no gaps
Ensure that the mattress you make us of is thick enough about one inch and also it should have almost no gap between the bassinet’s sides and the mattress.
Substances used in its manufacturing should be no harmful
Ensure the bassinet meets the set standards for such products. This simply means that all the materials which are used for manufacturing of the bassinet should not contain any flame retardants or harmful chemicals because the baby might come into contact with the materials.
Ensure the bassinet is stable and has wide base
The design you go for should be having stable, wide base such that it cannot tip over by any chance.